Thursday 24 September 2009

trying my hand at bookbinding

It took me a while to get around to being interested in bookbinding. You'd think that a letterpress printer would naturally gravitate towards it. It wasn't until I tried it, that I became hooked. The crafty girls got together on a Friday night and binded away. Ingrid, Jaime and I learned from Liz (thanks Liz!) who brought us nifty vintage hard covers to use and get us on our way. I'd say sewing the signatures were the most challenging and took the longest. But wow, is bookbinding such a cool skill to have. About three hours later, I had my first bound book. Instant gratification. One of the things I like about this is that I can use any type of paper I want or have on hand. Even the ones I don't like will make it into a book and suddenly become one of my favorite pages.

I filled the pages with notes from my recent trip and pasted paper keepsakes (photos, tickets, receipts, postcards, business cards, candy wrappers etc). I think more handmade journals are on the horizon for me.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Oh, the Italian journal.. Lovely!
You must tell.. what goodies did you get thrift-storing today?

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.