Friday 21 October 2011

made friday


cloth wipes


Seems like all I did this week was park myself in front of my sewing machine. The nesting phase has definitely set in because one moment I'm researching the benefits and how-to's of cloth diapering and the next moment I'm buying fabric to make cloth wipes!

At first, it was a no-brainer to use disposable diapers. I think I'm going to be an absolute (happy) mess after the baby's arrival and I didn't want to make things more complicated with cloth diapers and all that it entails. But after finding out about these diapers and watching videos on how easy it is to use (no more effort than changing disposable diapers), I started to come around. I'm willing to do more laundry if it means less waste products, being easier on the wallet, and a happy (dry, rash-free) baby. This naturally lead me to decide on using cloth wipes instead of disposable wipes. The idea of eliminating plastics, synthetic ingredients and chemicals next to baby's skin just seems like a good idea.

The different types of cloth wipes I whipped up are are less than perfect. I wasn't going for the finest looking wipes so it's not the neatest sewing I've ever done. I just need these to function and I need a lot of them. Though, I did get a little fancy and made some so that I could put my hand in it for the baby's bath time instead. The fabrics I used were regular terry cloth, super stretch terry cloth and microfibre. They held up well in the washing machine with cold water and were soft and fluffy out of the dryer.

While I was at it, I made two blankets for baby M. One small in size just in case he turns out anything like I was when I was a toddler and carried a 'blankie' around with me everywhere. It's the one with the tiny letters (of course I had to buy the fabric with type on it). The other is a larger blanket with squares of stripes and polka dots backed by a soft fabric.

I got a real sense of satisfaction after all was said and done. The nesting urge has been sated for the time being with a stack of lovingly handmade sewn goods.

//

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.