I've always wanted to try letterpress printing on fabric and yesterday's rainy weather was the perfect opportunity to stay indoors and experiment.
I used 100% cotton muslin for these set of prints and love the results. Because the fabric is tightly woven it provided a nice flat surface for the wood type to press up against. Not sure how well an intricate design would do but I was pretty certain the large type would be super swell! Of course, I was only going for a successful transfer and not for any kind of impression in the fabric.
I sewed some large coasters (or a mini prototype of a tea towel) that I plan to throw in the wash to see how the print/rubber base ink/fabric hold up against to detergent and drying.
I'm especially sweet on the zippered pouch I made to keep my journalling tools and scraps in.
I also printed a few fabric "posters" and framed them for the studio. The colour of the muslin is such a good match for the black ink.
I've still got some of this fabric left over, custom prints are welcome!
If any of you have printed (with oil/soy/rubber base inks) on fabric with a press, I'd love to know how it turned out (and how it fared after washing).