Sunday 25 April 2010





I'm on my way to start experimenting with the Rolleiflex. But before putting in a roll of film, I thought it best to get the camera checked out to see if it actually works. A quick search on Flickr lead me to information on a camera repair guy who specializes in fixing medium format cameras. Turns out he also happens to be about 15 minutes from where I live. And to make things better, he got back to me right away and was able to give me a consultation the same day.

I learned that the Rollei had suffered a drop causing the lens frame and the front of the camera body to dent causing everything inside of the camera to be off kilter. Luckily everything still works, it was just a matter of taking the camera apart and straightening out the dent. This also helped to loosen the shutter and f-stop dials. It's not in perfect condition but it's a whole lot better now then it was when I bought it. Also, the selenium photocell on the camera no longer works well. I suppose that's the be expected with a camera this old (1950's). My dad came to the rescue when I told him that I was in search of a light meter. He asked a friend of his if I could borrow his Sekonic light meter. And voila, within a week I'm set up to start playing and figuring out what's what.

Fingers crossed I can load the film in without any problems.

3 comments:

Amanda Keenan said...

That's great Tanya. Can't wait to see what the photos turn out like.

Nic said...

Maybe the imperfections in the camera will enhance unique and beautiful photos? Hope you're having fun playing with it!

alexandria said...

Oh this is terribly exciting! Yay!

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.