Monday 28 April 2014

crochet rugs


While looking for crochet projects, I've realised that I like to work big! That is, with a big hook and big yarn. I find it easier to use than small hooks and thin yarn. That and the piece works up really quickly with a big hook. So, I thought I'd try making a crochet rug and my first one turned out well, so I went ahead and made another. I love the feel of these rugs. I used cotton sheets so that they're nice and cushiony to stand or sit on.

The toughest part, for me, is the making of the yarn. I used thrifted bedsheets and it takes a while to cut them with scissors. I opted to do that instead of tearing the sheets because I knew I'd end up tearing the strips right through and I prefer to have the yarn as one continuous piece. This nifty tutorial is what I used to turn the bedsheets into yarn. There are plenty of crochet rug tutorials out there and even videos, including this one. I used a 15 mm (Q) hook and the rugs came to be about 3.5 feet wide. For the next rug, I'm hoping to make it even larger which means I'll be looking for thrifted king size duvet covers! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.