Friday 11 May 2012


Before pregnancy (and during), I couldn’t quite imagine what it would be like to have children. I didn’t know how a child would change my life; I only knew that it would. Here’s what surprises me about motherhood (as it relates to myself):

1. I don’t mind breastfeeding. It took some time getting used to. But I went from strongly disliking it to looking forward to it. My change of heart definitely has something to do with being able to comfort and nurture my son.

2. The maternal instinct really does exist! Maybe it’s because I spend the most time with my son that I know what he needs when he needs it. And it seems Marcus is at a stage right now where I’m the only one who can comfort him.

3. I’ve become unreasonably protective. Here’s an example: the other day I was changing M in a public washroom on one of those diaper change stations on which the other side held the automatic hand-dryer. Someone used it and the crazy-ass loud whooshing sound that came out of it scared the bejeezus out of Marcus making him scream (like I’ve never heard him scream before ) until it stopped. And then the girl used it again. I wanted to march over to the other side of the wall and…well, y’know. But of course, I didn’t.

4. I'm a weakling when it comes to his pain. When Marcus came down with a fever before the 12 week mark, we had to admit him to the emergency room. Without going into the details I basically teared up every time he was poked and prodded. And recently with his vaccination shots I had to steel myself when the needles came out. I'm going to have to buck up on this one and prepare for bumps, bruises and other physical ailments that are sure to come.

5. Becoming a mother has made me plenty more appreciative of my own mother. As soon as Marcus came into my life, I suddenly and instantly felt more connected to my mom.

6. My love for my son is infinite. Sure, I knew I’d love my child but it’s boundless depth is what amazes me.

Up until Marcus was born, I used to think that I didn’t have a maternal bone in my body. And even a few weeks after his birth, that feeling remained. But now, five short months later, I think I’ve come a long way in believing in myself. I must be doing something right when Marcus beams a smile at me for just looking at him.

I’m really looking forward to celebrating Mother’s Day this weekend as a first-time mom.

Wishing a very Happy Mother’s Day to all you wonderful moms!

//

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.