Wednesday 28 October 2009

hard pressed to find letterpress




One of the LCW participants, Sandi, suggested that I visit the St. Jacob's antique market in Waterloo and check out the woodblock type she found there. After an hour and a half drive, I was saddened to see very little in the way of letterpress equipment. I only came home with a tiny block engraved with what might look like a cut of a gas station. The remainder of the blocks were of a few punctuation marks; not what I was searching for. So I moved on and still enjoyed the other wonderful antiques the market had to offer. I stumbled upon a type tray large enough to accommodate the existing wood type I own. I also managed to grab a retro coffee tin and an old index card holder. Not a complete loss, I'd say. I'd definitely go back when the summer farmer's market is in full swing again. Thanks for the tip Sandi, I'll try my luck again!

3 comments:

for design's sake {sandi} said...

awwww. That sucks Tanya! When I was there there were quite a few more things, even trays for fonts! I wonder if someone snatched them up :(. There is a large antique market in Cambridge at Southworks that takes me hours to go through, but I am not positive of how much letterpress stuff there is, but it's cool regardless, especially the antique clock section!! I will cross my fingers for you next time!

t a n y a said...

Hi Sandi - oh, the type trays were everywhere but no font to fill them up! I may have to try Cambridge next time :)

for design's sake {sandi} said...

:) fun!!

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments (meaning comments without valid URL's) will not be published.